Online Education: Accessibility
Faculty members at NCCC are committed to meeting the needs of all students. The department of e-Learning would like to make it easy for you to provide course content that meets accessibility guidelines. The following website was developed as a product of the Online Accessibility SUNY FACT2 task group who was charged with identifying competencies and skills sets related to online accessibility and to provide professional development opportunities for SUNY.
NCCC Accessibility Resources
- Quick Tip Guide to Accessibility
- Accessibility Statements 3rd Party Content
- Assessing the Accessibility of Web 2.0 Tools Workshop
- Accessibility Workshops
- Blackboard Ally
FACT2 – Online Accessibility
The new website will help you learn more about why accessibility matters, how you can learn about it, and resources for verifying the accessibility of your materials.
Why Accessibility Matters– My Journey Through Darkness – video
- AccessMOOC – Accessibility: Designing and Teaching Courses for All Learners – (Developed by Buffalo State and Empire State Colleges)
- SUNY – Accessibility For All
- NCCC Compliance Review Project Checklist – Includes resources based on each checklist item.
- Making scanned PDF files accessible
- Iowa State University – Digital Access
- Portland Community Colleges – Web Accessibility for Online Course Content
PCC Online Accessibility Handbook
PCC Accessibility Quick Guide
PCC website with tutorials and resources
PCC Accessibility of Online Content
- Washington of University – Accessible Technology
- University of Minnesota – Accessible U
- Indiana University – Accessibility Questions to Ask a Publisher When Considering Materials for Your Course
- MERLOT Pedagogy Portal: A wealth of online materials and tutorials to help you to make your online course accessible
- Web Accessibility Evaluation Tool
- VPAT (Voluntary Product Accessibility Template) – What is a VPAT?
- Access for All Students – This site provides links to the VPAT for many 3rd party products used in education.