Faculty members at NCCC are committed to meeting the needs of all students. The department of Online Learning would like to make it easy for you to provide course content that meets the standards that adhere to Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 and to Niagara County Community College’s website accessibility policy.
The guides and tutorials below will guide you through the process. Word documents, PDFs, PowerPoint presentations, videos, interactive presentations, math and Blackboard are all covered. These documents are also all compiled in the Suffolk County Community College’s Guide to Accessible Document and Media Design booklet (aka ADA Compliant Design Short Guide).
Guides and Tutorials
NCCC Accessibility Resources
- Using Blackboard Ally
- Quick Tip Guide to Accessibility
- Accessibility Statements 3rd Party Content
- Accessibility Workshops @ NCCC
Create accessible Microsoft Word documents
- Create accessible documents overview
- Using the Accessibility Checker
- Improve accessibility with alt text
- Improve heading accessibility
- Creating accessible links
- Create accessible file names
- Create accessible tables
- Create accessible PDFs from Word documents (written tutorial)
For written tutorials, please see the webpage Make your documents accessible to people with disabilities.
Create accessible Microsoft PowerPoint Presentations
- Create more accessible slides
- Improve image accessibility in PowerPoint
- Use more accessible colors and styles in slides
- Design slides for people with dyslexia
- Save a presentation in a different format
For text-based tutorials, please see the webpage Make your PowerPoint presentations accessible to people with disabilities.
Create more accessible Excel Workbooks
- Start with an accessible Excel template
- Create more accessible tables in Excel
- Create more accessible charts in Excel
For written tutorials, please see the webpage Make your Excel documents accessible to people with disabilities.
Create accessible PDF files
- W3C – Making Audio and Video Media Accessible
- Searching for Closed Captioned Videos on YouTube
- Using YouTube to Create Captions
- Audio Description
Interactive presentation accessibility
Blackboard course accessibility